The Saxon Crown - Corby

The Saxon Crown, first of two spanking new-ish chain bars I need to tell you about in Corby, this one in the very centre of town. A townie bar as we used to call them. But what of the pub's unique 'Saxon Crown' moniker? As I'm sure you know, it can be a hard task getting to the bottom of pub names, post-war flat roof pubs in particular. I still don't know why the Talisman is called the Talisman for example. No such mystery around The Saxon Crown though, it's there in black and brass at the entrance to the pub (and still there 8 years since opening, which is quite an achievement in itself!), which is nice!

In all the years I spent working and transiting Corby back in the late 20th century, I can't actually remember this 'landmark building' or the 'showpiece department store' it housed. A lick of paint and a fancy swinging sign and suddenly it's unmissable, and one of the jewels in Corby's hugely crowded pub crown. It's also an iconic and much loved 1950's building made good. Repurposed rather than demolished and replaced, and for that alone I feel positively predisposed to this pub.

Mind you, and for reasons I won't go into here, I've never actually been to the Saxon Crown. Perhaps a little odd given that it's one of Corby's very few cask beer outlets, and I like cask beer. For the purposes of this blog I'll be using the pathetically lame excuse that it's a very hard pub to find, located as it is at the 'back side' of the town, a place I rarely go unless the mighty Candle draws me in for a John Smiths Smooth. I just can't be everywhere in Corby!...

It's a refreshingly busy, buzzy pub. Buzzing with the gentle hum of conversation and laughter on an otherwise slow Thursday afternoon, when Corby folk were for the most part hunkered down and awaiting the imminent arrival of Storm Eunice ("Christ man! not her again!"). A right healthy mix of young families dining, local pub men boozing (right), and single blokes like myself reading the paper and gawping at everything like a lost tourist. It's what's known in the pub blogging world as a 'Bantz' pub, the terrifically busy and efficient bar staff receiving and giving plenty of good-natured banter from (mostly) blokes as they go about their business. Good vibes then! Good pub!

Now you might be wondering why I didn’t go for the top quality local-ish Grainstore ©hop-a-doodle-do beer on the far-left! Well, it had just bit the dust apparently. Or maybe the award-winning and deliriously popular Plum Porter, the sweetish dark one all pub-men love, though not this pub man as it happens. Nope, not on. What about the Doom Bar, the UK’s finest national ‘malt ale’ as voted for by pub man Retired Martin, and undoubtedly Corby’s No.1 favourite cask beer. No, not available. As for Beer Line Cleaning (IPA?) or the other ‘quality’ cask offerings, I have my limits dear reader, I have my limits.

So a slightly disappointing result beer-wise, but the bar staff were typically Corby brilliant, guiding me through the empty pumps with such good humoured efficiency it felt like they were doing me a favour. Which in fairness they may well have been. "We've got John Smiths Smooth!" sez she, with a smile that almost made me order a John Smiths Smooth. Bottled craft it is then, a beer I've never knowingly tried, for reasons I won't go into here...

Big bottle or very small hand?
One thing I would say about the Hazy Jane New England IPA , a hazy New England IPA from a highly respected micro-brewery in Scotland, blimey but these bottles are big! I wouldn't say it was a bad beer, but I was literally bored rigid with the stuff after the first huge pour, and with half a dozen more to come it soon started to feel like a rather sweetish, tongue-frazzling chore. It’s like going to the pub and sitting with a bottle of oak tainted Chardonnay all to yourself, seems like a good idea at first but…

"Ach! No Doom Bar again then Hen!"

The carpet was a disappointment in truth, certainly by the very high standards of Corby pubs. But the rest of the Saxon Crown more than makes up for it as a slightly unexpected patron of the arts. Art everywhere in fact, and what's more, lovely local art everywhere. There's nothing I dislike more (there is of course, but space is limited) than pub walls covered in warehouse procured 'art' and other meaningless bric-a-brac. Tat with no connection to the local area or the history of the pub. Lazy identikit interior design is the scourge of modern pub refurbishment, so I do a little leap of joy when I come across somewhere like the Shire Horse that does it properly with historic photos from the pubs early days, or indeed the Saxon Crown and it's locally relevant art and handy little information panels. Bravo Saxon Crown!

I particularly liked the evocative 'Steelworkers' painting (Merridan Northover), and the fabulous Sculpted Steel artworks (Wayne Summerfield) that are dotted around the pub. Corby pub décor that couldn't be more appropriate, even the toilets have been given an artistic twist with Hand Basins (unknown) that have something of the Foundry Crucible about them. So do have a pint, you're welcome to browse.




I'd also like to draw your attention to one of Corby's most impressive modernist structures, clearly visible from the upper gallery of the pub on a clear day. The spire of the Anglican Church of the Epiphany can be seen below, and I'd urge you to have a gander at this 1960's design classic by architect Donald F Martin-Smith whilst boozing in the town. Sadly disused now, and not listed as far as I can tell so under threat, it would make a great Wetherspoon...


Comments

  1. "one of the jewels in Corby's hugely crowded pub crown". Indeed it is.

    I was going to disagree about the Hazy Jane, but remembered that I couldn't finish my 660ml bottle in Stevenage (the Corby of the South ?) last month either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very high expectations for the the Samual LLoyd now. As for the beer, I don't get this 660ml bottle thing, is it a sharing bottle? I had a perfectly neckable Neck Oil in the Raven earlier, but this Hazy Jane is sweetish, it was hard going. I'd have happily had the Doom if it was on.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts